This page contains the foods to include list and the base diet plan. Please eat organic when possible to avoid pesticide residues that may disturb gut micro-bacteria. If you suspect a food intolerance or sensitivity ask the Cycle Diet Dietitian about common food sensitivity testing or an elimination hypo-allergenic diet plan. The Gluten Free Cycle Diet Workbook or hypo-allergenic diet is available with scheduled private consult. Elimination diets have a very steep learning curve. Best results are achieved when keeping supervised food-logs.
Foods Included in the Cycle Diet
Eat at least 2 to 3 (1/2 cup)114g servings a day
Eat at least 3 to 6 (1/2 cup)114g servings a day
collard greens spinach 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw
Eat at least 5 to 8 (1/2 cup)114g servings/week
Eat at least 1 to 3 servings a day 1 serving = 1/2 cup-114g or 1 slice bread
100% organic whole grain cereal and breads(watch for sensitivity)
- Salmon, preferably wild
- Ocean perch
- Yellow tail
- Water packed tuna (avoid Albacore or regular tuna if breast feeding or pregnant)
- Cat Fish (not fried)
- Turkey Breast
- Chicken Breast
- Organic Eggs
During Follicular Phase Only:
- Pork tenderloin (white) limit to 3oz 2x's a week
- Lean hamburger (limit red meat to 3oz servings 2x's a week)
- Lean Beef, organic or grass feed (limit red meat to 3oz servings 2x's a week in follicular phase)
- avoid ALL red meat during the luteal phase
Foods in limited amounts during follicular phase
Important note: If you are lactose intolerant please avoid ALL DAIRY for at least 2 cycles and then reintroduce as a challenge. New studies show 60-70% of those with lactose intolerance are also casein and or whey protein sensitive.
- Mozzarella cheese, part-skim- watch for dairy sensitivity
- Plain organic yogurts preferred if not dairy sensitive (no aspartame or artificial sweeteners) stevia ok
- Limit added sugar to less-then 6 teaspoons a day (25 grams)
- Limit Milk (if tolerated) due to natural occurring hormones to 1 serving a day. Non-dairy milk preferred, especially if dairy sensitive
- Plain non-dairy yogurts are good (coconut, almond, cashew)
- Organic, non-hydrogenated spreads preferred
- Non-dairy topping (avoid hydrogenated oil
- Organic tortilla chips, cooked in pressed oil ok in moderation
- Limit dark meat chicken or dark meat turkey due to higher % of saturated fats to 2x's a week if having painful periods
- Limit fried foods to 1x a week in follicular phase
- Limit restaurant take-out (unless you know how it's prepared) If eating out, stick with salads, grilled chicken breast, naked potatoes & vegetables.
- Limit sweets to no more than 2 times a week. Avoid all added sugar during yeast infection or Candida overgrowth.
* Gluten Free grains. **Most oats contain cross contaminated gluten. There are pure GF verified oats available on the market.
Quinoa and organic soy are sources of complete protein, includes all 9 essential amino acids. Avoid conventionally grown soy. If you eat soy make sure it's organic and well fermented, such as miso and tamari sauce.
Special Note: It is very important to be screened for celiac disease or gluten intolerance prior to going on a gluten-free diet. Please feel free to contact the Cycle Diet Dietitian on options for food sensitivity or intolerance testing with an accredited laboratory.