Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.

TOPIC: Brown Rice Question

Brown Rice Question 26 Jul 2006 11:51 #3400

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have made the switch to brown rice for my family (no one even noticed!), and I know it is better for us. But can you tell me why exactly it's better than white rice?

Also, is there a difference between the regular brown rice and the quick-cook brown rice? The regular would take about an hour to cook, the quick-cook only takes 20 minutes.

Thanks!

Brown Rice Question 27 Jul 2006 02:08 #3401

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This post is from the Cycle Diet RD:
Hi Laura,

I'm so happy to hear your family didn't even notice the change. There are a couple good reasons to eat brown rice over the white if you can. First brown rice has substantially more B vitamins (B1, B3,Niacin a little iron and Potassium) because the bran is still somewhat intact. Second there is more fiber, something we all need a little more of to help with digestion and better colon health. Brown rice also slows the rush of carbs to your bloodstream (more gradual insulin response). White rice is stripped of all of the natural vitamins, and contains a very small amount of mineral and fiber.

The B vitamins found is rice naturally is just another way of getting more nutrients for the number of calories you intake.

But sometimes if you want to add a little white rice because it's what' s called for for a specific dish, it's not a problem.

Brown Rice Question 29 Jul 2006 00:03 #3402

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
So, is there a nutritional difference between the regular brown rice and quick-cook brown rice? The quick-cook kind says it is 'partially milled' brown rice. Is this just as good?

Brown Rice Question 29 Jul 2006 11:54 #3403

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This post is from the Cycle Diet RD:

Hi Laura,

Sorry about not answering your question completely. Yes, there are couple differences in nutrients between regular brown rice and quick cook brown rice unless the processor has enriched the quick cooked brown rice. (Read the label)

Regular brown rice of course retaining all of the nutrients, a few are lost in cooking but White rice is polished removing the bran and most of the nutirent value and fiber.

If you should decide to use any kind of quick cook grain, oat or rice it's usually processed or cut up "milled" finer in order to cook faster.

As long as the bran is still with the grain the nutrients should still be there, but the glycemic level goes up somewhat due to the less processing your body has to do. Sometimes rice is partially cooked, parboiled white rice is partially cooked. Some processors add riboflavin, thiamine, niacin back indicating "enriched rice" a good sign that lost vitamins have been added back.

One last note: You should also check to make sure there is no chance of cross contamination with wheat, rye or barley (gluten containing grains) Food processors are now required by law to indicate if they also processes these grains or tree nuts for those allergic.

Hope that answers your question.

Brown Rice Question 31 Oct 2006 18:23 #3405

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OH, this was a good question to read. I didnt know there was a difference. With eating so much rice now it was very informative.
Nicole

Brown Rice Question 30 Dec 2006 23:44 #3406

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I have another question about rice.  What is the difference between long grain, wild rice and just plain brown rice??  Is one better than the other?  I'm so confused about which rice to get that I just keep passing it altogether.  Also, can you tell me about couscous, basmati, tabouleh (sp?), etc?  Are any of these good sources of fiber without being bad carbs??  I'm very confused and don't know what's good for me and what's just more bad carbs.

Thanks so much!!!!! 

Brown Rice Question 31 Dec 2006 00:50 #3407

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This post is by the Cycle Diet RD:

NancyO wrote:

I have another question about rice. What is the difference between long grain, wild rice and just plain brown rice?? Is one better than the other? I'm so confused about which rice to get that I just keep passing it altogether. Also, can you tell me about couscous, basmati, tabouleh (sp?), etc? Are any of these good sources of fiber without being bad carbs?? I'm very confused and don't know what's good for me and what's just more bad carbs.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Hi Nancy,

Lots of good questions about rice, But don't get too stressed about it and by all means don't pass on it.:). The rule of thumb is brown rice is better due to the fact that the bran, b vitamins and fiber are still intact, which makes it a little chewier and slower to digest therefor lower on the glycemic index.

Basmati is a wonderfully aromatic white rice usually grown in India and used in many Asian dishes. It is growing in popularity here in the US and is processed very similar to the long grain white rice you're used to seeing. It's very comparable in nutrients and glycemic value of any polished white rice with the bran removed.

Couscous is actually a course ground wheat grain made from semolina, so stay away from it if you're gluten intolerant. It's like a very fine pasta but light and fluffy.

Tabouli is a middle eastern dish made mostly from Bulgar, the whole grain from wheat (contains gluten), finely chopped parsley, mint, onion and other fresh herbs.

Wild rice is actually a grass, high in fiber B1, B2, B3 and more protein than brown rice. Some people find it very difficult to chew if not cooked well, but I recommend mixing wild, brown or white rice together for the best of all worlds.

Another favorite of mine is Arborio rice from Italy. It's used in Risotto and can be used as a replacement for pasta due to it big fluffy creamy grain. Yes, it's a little high on the glycemic index, but if you're gluten sensitive and looking for more variety in grains that are tolerated well, then it makes sense.

I hope that answers you question satisfactory..so get going and cook a little rice already.:D

Brown Rice Question 31 Dec 2006 01:13 #3408

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This post is from Nancy:

Thanks, Debra! I'm still a little confused though. Sounds like I want to stay away from Basmati, but I'm not gluten intolerant so are the rest okay for me?  I have been out of town and haven't called about my LDL and HDL levels (in regards to the triglyceride issue), but if they still insist I stay away from carbs, which of these would be okay, if any?  And the Arborio rice, is that okay for me?  When it comes to rice and breads I have a hard time with what's whole grain and good carbs and what's not.  I've got the bread thing pretty much figured out, but still don't get the rice and grains.  And pasta's too.  For instance, what is semolina, and what is bulgar and are they bad or good?  For a while I was eating the new wheat pastas but then I was told they are no better than regular pasta, and neither are the veggie pastas.  Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions.  I want to do what's right for my body but sometimes I feel like I can't leave the produce section of the grocery store or I'm going to eat all the wrong stuff!

Thanks again!

Brown Rice Question 31 Dec 2006 12:32 #3409

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nancy wrote:

Thanks, Debra! I'm still a little confused though.   I've got the bread thing pretty much figured out, but still don't get the rice and grains. And pasta's too.  For instance, what is semolina, and what is bulgar and are they bad or good? 

I have a hard time with what's whole grain and good carbs and what's not. 

Nancy, any grain that is whole, still contains the bran (the outer shell of the grain and germ), so it's a better source of complex carbohydrate, b vitamins, some minerals, iron, vitamin E and fiber. A not so good grain is highly refined or highly processed and no longer contains the bran, fiber or nutrients- which is why they enrich flour.

Sounds like I want to stay away from Basmati,

No, not necessarily-you don't have to stay away from it, you can also get brown basmati rice or just incorporate more sources of fresh or frozen vegetables with the white rice. As I mentioned in my last post, just mix it with brown rice, wild rice to slow down the carb load and eat smaller amounts.

For a while I was eating the new wheat pastas but then I was told they are no better than regular pasta, and neither are the veggie pastas.  Is this correct?

It really depends on the content of whole grain and fiber.  Regular pasta is highly processed wheat, (unless it's GF). If it doesn't say 100% whole wheat or grain in the FIRST ingredient on the label than it's probably more refined than you may want.

The same with the veggie pastas- you have to read the ingredient list. What does the first ingredient say. If it's enriched wheat flour, than it's highly processed and therefore high glycemic if overcooked. Hint: It's best to cook pasta al dente.

Bulgur is the whole grain of wheat, for more information see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgur

Semolina is also wheat see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semolina

I'm sorry you're so confused about this subject, but I think you might also benefit from this link: http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html

Brown Rice Question 01 Jan 2007 23:01 #3410

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for all the great links, Debra, especially that last one.  It's very informative and I thought I was all prepared for my shopping trip today, but when I got to the rice and grains aisle at the Earthfare I was stumped all over again.  I asked 3 different people to help me and NOT ONE of them knew anything at all about whole grains or how to decipher the labels I was reading.  So here is what I wound up with, after much aggravation.  Lundberg basmati and wild rice, the ingredients say organic basmati rice and wild rice.  Lundberg Wehani whole grain brown rice, ingredients say whole grain wehani rice.  Lundberg Black Japonica, black and mahogany rice, ing. say whole grain black japonica field blend rice.  Ezekiel sprouted whole grain pasta and the ing. say organic sprouted whole grain wheat, barley, millet, lentils, etc. 

What I had such a hard time with was that a LOT of items boasted 100% Whole Grain on the front of the box and then in the ingredients it would say "pearled", or whole grain wheat "flour", or something else that looked wrong.  I wanted to put some barley in some soup I'm making tonight but all of the barley's did this, said 100% whole grain on the front but on the back said 100% whole grain pearled barley.  So according to the article, pearled is not what I want.  So how can it be whole grain and pearled at the same time??  Aaaarrrghh!!! 

And the rices.....  there was long grain brown and short grain brown, some said milled some didn't.  There were so many confusing descriptions that didn't sound as easy as the article explained, it seemed deceiving some of them.

Then there were the cold cereals.  Good grief.  There were ones with flax seed and everything else, but NOT ONE that I picked up said 100% whole grain as the first (or any) ingredient.  Many said "made with whole grains", but the article said that was one of the deceptive descriptions.  The only one that looked worth anything was the Ezekiel which I've had before.  Is the Ezekiel stuff good or just misleading??  And last but not least was all the bran stuff, which really threw me off.  One box boasted 11 grams of fiber per serving but was loaded with sugar!!

Can you possibly recommend a cereal by name that I can just walk in and get?  I am so frustrated right now.  I have twin 2 1/2 year olds who distract me terribly at the store which makes it so much harder.  If I could just walk in and pick something up by name it would be so wonderful.  I'm so tired of oatmeal every morning!!!!!!!

I won't even go into what happened when I asked a store employee to help me pick a magnesium supplement, there were so many different kinds (cheleated, absorbetate (???), and some other words I didn't know).  Let's just say you were right on about the store people not knowing squat!!!

So thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it!!!!!  I just joined a gym where they have a licensed nutritionist who takes people on a trip to the grocery store!!  It's pretty expensive, but I think I could benefit greatly from it!  I wish you were here to go with me!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!  Thanks for listening!!  It's outrageous how easy it is to eat junk and how difficult it is (and expensive!) to eat healthy!!

Nancy
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds