Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.

TOPIC: Brown Rice Question

Brown Rice Question 02 Jan 2007 01:43 #3411

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Post by the Cycle Diet Dietitian

Oh Nancy,

You are a very detailed person, I love that about you :), and I love the fact that you're thinking about taking a grocery store tour with a licensed nutritionist. Please let me know how that goes for you.

Everything you purchased sounds GREAT. I love the sprouted grain pasta and the mix of brown rices you chose. Once you start to find out what you like (long grain vs. short grain) you'll understand why some rices are better for certain recipes.

You've learned a lot in such a short time about how tricky food manufacturers are when it comes to marketing their products. It's confusing, but once you read the first few ingredients on the label, well -you know what you're getting.

For cold cereals I recommend 100% Bran by Post or Kellogg's (contains gluten). You might also want to look into 100% Buckwheat groats (GF) from Bob's Red Mill. Bob's make a ton of different 100% whole grain cereals that can be eaten cold or hot.

As far as wanting to add barley to your soup, it wouldn't hurt to add a little for flavor or just because you like it. What else is in your soup, chances are there's lot of vegetables, carrots, celery, a little onion a little olive oil? These vegetables as well as the oil bring the whole glycemic value down in your meal.

Thanks for the update on your shopping trip.

p.s. I understand you're not gluten free, but many women who will read through these posts are, so they will also benefit from your excellent questions about what is whole grain. Many gluten-free diets are short on fiber from whole grains because they tend to focus on process gluten-free breads and baked goods.

Brown Rice Question 02 Jan 2007 22:13 #3412

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Funny, I was actually logging in so I could ask a question about brown rice (yes, again)!  I may be too simple with this, but for months now I have just been buying generic brand brown rice in the most economical size bag.  We have Kroger and Publix, and both of them have store-brand brown rice that is cheaper than the others.  I know you were worried about cost (and stress), which is why I mention it :)  I love it, and find reason to add it into (or with) anything I can!!  

And I think my question was answered.  At Costco, I found a  very large bag of Organic Brown Basmati Rice, and was wondering if that is as good for me as regular brown rice.  Assuming it's cheaper, I would like to buy it - we go thru it so fast!

Brown Rice Question 02 Jan 2007 22:36 #3413

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Post by Cycle Diet RD

lzalvis wrote:

Funny, I was actually logging in so I could ask a question about brown rice (yes, again)! 

And I think my question was answered.  At Costco, I found a  very large bag of Organic Brown Basmati Rice, and was wondering if that is as good for me as regular brown rice.  Assuming it's cheaper, I would like to buy it - we go thru it so fast!

HA, you do go through a lot of rice- And I'm astonished at all the questions about rice.- Yes, brown Basmati is as good for you as plain brown rice but with more flavor in MHO. I'm laughing because I also bought a huge bag of basmati rice at Costco, but I've been giving it away to my neighbors even though we love it too.

I actually haven't figured out the cost on the HUGE bags at Costco, but it has to work out to be pennies per cup.

Brown Rice Question 06 Jan 2007 15:08 #3414

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Debra,

I made the brown basmati rice from Costco last night, and have a question for you, since you have the exact same kind.....  

Normally when I make regular ol' generic brown rice, it's a 2:1 ratio - 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice.  However, the directions on the basmati had me soak the rice for an hour, and then use a 4:1 ratio - FOUR cups of water to 1 cup of rice!!  (closed pot method).  The rice never did absorb all the liquid, and the rice ended up as a mushy, water-logged, falling apart mess.  Luckily I was putting it in some yummy chicken wraps so no one noticed. 

How do you cook this? 

Thanks, Laura

Brown Rice Question 06 Jan 2007 15:29 #3415

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Post by Cycle Diet RD
:D

You know, I never really read the directions on the side of the bag and just cooked it as I would normally cook brown rice at the 2-1 ratio, but now that I think about it I may have added more water along the way. I like to taste whatever I'm cooking to see if it's ready. I also mix my brown rice sometimes with white rice or my husband wouldn't eat it.

He will tolerate some brown rice but not straight. That makes a little difference. I also add brown rice to my lentil and split pea soup and let it cook for about 45 minutes on simmer.

My advice would be to experiment on cooking it to how you like it. You now know the 4-1 ratio is not going to work for you. You might want to think about your altitude too? The higher you are the longer you'll need to cook or bake. I'm only thinking about this since I went through Denver a few days ago and for those who might live in the mountains.

Brown Rice Question 09 Jan 2007 02:39 #3416

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I made the organic brown basmati rice again, this time just like regular brown rice, and it was much better.  However, I've discovered that I really don't like it as much as the regular ol' generic brand brown rice.  The basmati rice is dry and separated, whereas the generic stuff comes out sticky and creamy, almost like risotto.

Brown Rice Question 09 Jan 2007 03:08 #3417

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Oh well :(,

I wonder if you add a little olive oil or a little Earth balance to it if that might help the taste. Now you know why I add regular rice, peas and add it to soups. ;)

You might also want to try adding some chicken broth too, so it doesn't seem so dry or crusty.

Keep experimenting and let us know if something works for you.

Brown Rice Question 10 Jan 2007 03:27 #3418

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
oh, it's not bad, it's just not as good as regular generic store-brand brown rice.  Which is good, I guess, since the generic stuff is cheaper anyway.  And my family didn't notice anyway, just me (I'm finicky, I guess :)

Brown Rice Question 17 Nov 2007 01:46 #3419

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I had no idea there was such a difference in brown rice

Brown Rice Question 17 Nov 2007 13:17 #3420

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sunflower - I didn't either until that incident with the basmati brown rice.  I kept experimenting with it, and it never got any better.  We kept eating it as long as we could take it (I don't like to waste food), but I finally just threw the rest of it out.  I have gone back to the standard, generic, regular, plain 'brown rice' in the grocery store.  Aaaahhhhh...much better :)
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds