Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.

TOPIC: Brown Rice Question

Brown Rice Question 29 Mar 2009 23:52 #3422

• lzalvis
  • lzalvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, so, I have a new question on the whole 'brown rice vs. white rice' saga.... over dinner yesterday, I made a brief comment about white rice.  My 12-year-old stepdaughter than made a comment about "well, I guess all Asian people must be really unhealthy then, because they eat so much white rice...it's what my mom cooks" (her mom is Korean and makes sticky rice).  Given the snippiness of the comment (we dealt with that later), I didn't go into my 'why brown rice is better' monologue.

I did, however, find myself wondering about it, though..... why does the Asian population consume so much white rice, and is it just as unhealthy?  Enquiring minds want to know.....

Brown Rice Question 30 Mar 2009 15:39 #3423

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Laura,

Very snippy indeed. :) It boils down to the quantity of vegetables and fish the Asians eat vs the amount of rice. They eat less meat as well. If you looked at different asian countries you'll find they don't eat a ton of rice as we would eat per meal. You'll find other grains and starches too depending on the country.

If anyone with an Asian background would like to chime in it would be much appreciated. I can't tell you why polished white rice is more popular vs. the brown rice, but it is substantially healthier (fiber and B vitamins).

Brown Rice Question 13 Dec 2009 14:32 #3424

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Debra,

Long ago post, but I have an answer - white rice in asia is like white bread for us  - a sign of supposed wealth i.e. you can afford the refined stuff :X

I've got a dietitian friend who was trained in India - she and I have done lots of work together on "healthy indian cookery" options - so if anyone ever says "You can't do a low fat indian meal" I beg to differ!

Helen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debra

Brown Rice Question 13 Dec 2009 18:27 #3425

• lzalvis
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Helen,

I had to go back and figure out what you were answering...lol Thanks for chiming in here. I still get questions about the differences in rice. I always point them to this thread. I need to go back and check the links to make sure they still work.

I love Indian foods so please feel free to share a recipe or two if you wish.:D

Brown Rice Question 20 Jul 2013 20:23 #9404

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Speaking about rice, a new topic to think about. Arsenic in rice. I've written about it on my blog. You can find a link to it here: sensitivedietitian.com/?p=247
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds