Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How Do I Know I have a Food Sensitivities or Intolerance?

How Do I Know I have a Food Sensitivities or Intolerance? 30 Jul 2006 18:12 #3428

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
~
How do I know if I have a food sensitivity or intolerance? I'm usually fine most of the time except those few days before my period when I have the most awful stomach pain with diarrhea or (constipation).

This is a question I get from many of my clients. Usually a person has an idea if a food or food combination upsets their stomach or a connection is made between a specific food, indigestion, gas, diarrhea or gut pain at the time of ingestion. Many times a connection isn't made until a woman enters the late luteal phase, especially with wheat gluten--because it's in just about everything we tend to eat.

A lactose intolerance or even a dairy protein sensitivity, even in small amounts may be blamed on a flu bug, food gone bad or just part of the regular PMS pattern.

Food sensitivities from undigested proteins such as gliadin from gluten and casein from dairy as well as other protein fractions (peptides) can cause an immune response within the GI too small to even notice if your immune system is working properly. But, underlying food sensitivities and intolerances can easily be recognized during the late luteal phase if you keep track of exactly what you eat and note the different kinds of digestive symptoms that surface.

Why is it important to pay particularly close attention to your digestive system and PMS/PMDD symptoms? It's during this time if you do have any kind of food sensitivity that it will show itself due to your suppressed immune system. You need to be very aware that these undigested protein fractions can cause intestinal damage as well as malabsorption of the some very important nutrients, vitamins and minerals. If you have indigestion on a regular basis, the constant irritation or inflammation may also cause malabsorption as well as interfere in enzyme production.

Many times eliminating the suspected food or foods is all you need to do.
Being tested by a knowledgeable allergist or Gastroenterologist for a definite diagnosis is prudent so further damage isn't done.

If you would like to be tested for gluten, casein or malabsorption please contact me for a referral to a board certified Gastroenterologist that specializes in food sensitivities and intolerance. Avoiding foods that cause digestive problems and malabsorption can not only save you from continued PMS and or PMDD, but from the possibility of future complications with fertility, GI stress and disease.

How Do I Know I have a Food Sensitivities or Intolerance? 30 Nov 2012 20:46 #3429

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
bump
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds