Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is canola a bad oil?

Is canola a bad oil? 24 Sep 2008 18:09 #3810

• solstice
  • solstice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There seems to be a lot of "google" info on canola or rapeseed oil being bad for us...but pushed through by the higher powers that be.  Funny thing is that the salad dressing I had been using had canola in it and I kept thinking that I needed to drop it...I finally did!  Any thoughts or info on canola?

This was edited by Debra on 5/14/16 (I stopped recommending canola 3 years ago)
NOTE: Update on old post. I no longer recommend canola oil due to it being transgenic, or genetically modified to withstand high doses of glyphosate, also known as RoundUp herbicide. There are some non-GMO canola oils now being used by some major food companies which are fine. Please stay away from regular canola oil, which has been found to contain high levels of glyphosate residues. Glyphosate, an ubiquious herbicide not only kills plants but has harmful effects on gut bacteria. Avoid all GMO corn, soy, canola and sugar beets. We have also learned that some farmers are spraying wheat, rye, oats, lentils and sugar cane with glyphosate pre harvest. When possible purchase the organic versions of these products, especially when feeding children.

Is canola a bad oil? 24 Sep 2008 19:04 #3811

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Canola oil is rapeseed oil but a low acid plant version of an ancient seed and is considered a good oil. It's one of the oils I recommend for cooking along with EVOO.

Canola oil stands for Canadian oil low acid oil and has a low saturated fat, high polyunsaturated fat profile. It also contains a fair amount of omega 3 although some oil companies add additional omega 3 in order to balance the 9 and 6 omegas.

I suppose you need to pay attention to the company that selling it because with everything you could get an adulterated canola oil or even hydrogenated canola to make it shelf stable.

Why are thinking it's bad?

Is canola a bad oil? 24 Sep 2008 19:28 #3812

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
supposively it's closely related to soy and I know I cannot tolerate soy!  :)  Here is an account on canola...I see it isnt footnoted though.

http://www.whale.to/m/canola.html

Is canola a bad oil? 01 Oct 2008 03:11 #3817

• solstice
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Traci,

Peanut oil is okay if your recipe calls for it for flavor reasons, but it's still pretty high in saturated fats with very little or no omega 3's. Peanut oil shouldn't be your main cooking oil....stick with the olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.

Is canola a bad oil? 14 May 2016 15:53 #10577

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
NOTE: Update on old post. I no longer recommend canola oil due to it being transgenic, or genetically modified to withstand high doses of glyphosate, also known as RoundUp herbicide. There are some non-GMO canola oils now being used by some major food companies which are fine. Please stay away from regular canola oil, which contain high levels of glyphosate residues.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds