Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: diet modifications when on birth control pill

diet modifications when on birth control pill 15 Mar 2011 17:04 #4056

• iarute
  • iarute's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Debra,

You mentioned that if one takes oral contraceptives, she should just follow the luteal phase diet all the time. Being new to this diet (and being somewhat aversive to soy products and all beans) I know that I can't realistically go "cold turkey" and all of a sudden switch to foods on luteal diet. I feel like it has to be done gradually, at least for me. So, if I were to make changes to my diet gradually, are there still certain times of the month when it's "safer" to consume some dairy and meat? I just don't know how the whole hormonal change thing is altered by birth control and whether there are still "phases" of hormonal change or whether it looks more or less like a straight line...(I know that's more of a secondary question, but I'm mainly interested in the effects it should have on the diet).

Thank you,
Iryna 

diet modifications when on birth control pill 15 Mar 2011 19:07 #4057

• iarute
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Are you doing okay on the pill? Meaning you tolerate it fine without making your symptoms worse?

Many of the suggestions on the original plan are set up so you may have an easier time with hard to digest foods....and discover underlying food sensitivites such as lactose intolerance, a possible gluten intolerance or even other preservative food chemical additive sensitivities. Food intolerance may be easier to identify because they express during a natural luteal phase cycle w/o added hormone load of the pill. I hope that makes sense to you.

If you can tolerate the added hormone load of synthetic birth control pill then you may be fine with a little red meat and dairy. IF YOU HAVE A LACTOSE INTOLERANCE then you need to re-examine all dairy intake and possibly gluten. Gluten in many cases can cause people to become lactose intolerance due to inflammation inside the GI tract.

I might suggest you go take a look through the introductions for more information. If you identify with any one's post, let me know.

There's more to the Cycle Diet then just avoiding certain foods during each phase. If you have a problem with soy then by all means avoid it, especially if you have thyroid problems or are on thyroid medication. There are other non-dairy substitutes available like almond, rice and hemp milk/beverages. But if you have neuro issues then you may want to look at dairy protein. If you crave dairy i would definately look at a dairy sensitivity.

I have a hard time answering questions if I don't know what your personal situation is. Can you post an introduction and let me know what's going on with you...symptoms, family history, current diagnosis.

diet modifications when on birth control pill 15 Mar 2011 20:48 #4058

• iarute
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for being so thorough in trying to answer my question! Sorry I didn't provide more background info. To answer your question, I am tolerating birth control pill pretty well, I think. I've been on it for over 2 years now. I had a hard time adjusting to it in the first few months (primarily in terms of emotional stability or mood swings), but after that it's been ok. It actually helped my periods to be shorter and less painful. The only premenstrual symptoms I currently experience are emotional instability (feeling over-sensitive or "on edge"), lack of energy, increased need for sleep and chocolate cravings. I do not have any known food allergies or intolerances. I also don't have any chronic health conditions. However, my body in general is very sensitive. That shows in how I respond to prescription medication (if there are any side effects listed to any medicine, I usually have them all and I have them bad too!), although right now I don't take any. Also, my GI system is pretty sensitive. As long as I eat the usual stuff, I am fine, but sometimes my stomach hurts or gets gas cramps if I go out to eat and have something that's too greasy/oily or has some weird sauce on it. When I said that I am somewhat aversive to soy and beans, I just meant that I don't like the flavor of them (plus the beans make me very gassy).

As far as family history, there is cancer, heart disease, GI problems, depression, and alcohol abuse on both sides of my family.

This is all I can think of right now. Oh, and I'm 28 :)

diet modifications when on birth control pill 16 Mar 2011 12:07 #4059

• iarute
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
GI problems? Anyone have Celiac? Have you been screened for Celiac?

diet modifications when on birth control pill 16 Mar 2011 14:29 #4060

• iarute
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
My familly lives in another country, and I'm not sure that they even know what celiac is there. So, no, they haven't been screened. I haven't been either because I guess I never felt my symptoms were severe enough to request any kind of tests, plus my insurance won't cover them right now. What are the symptoms of celiac desease? I don't really know anything about it...

Thank you!

diet modifications when on birth control pill 16 Mar 2011 15:02 #4061

• iarute
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Not all gluten intolerance is Celiac but here's an article on celiac symptoms and testing.

Here's another article on the difference between celiac and non-celiac . I would urge you get screened for celiac first before thinking about removing it from your diet.

Malabsorption and GI inflammation is the main problem caused by food intolerances, which can lead to other health problems. The sooner you discover what's causing you to have GI problems the faster you will recover as well as avoid long term health problems.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds