Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chia, Flax, and Lignans

Chia, Flax, and Lignans 21 Jan 2012 16:17 #4083

• kimberlyreed
  • kimberlyreed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As I was pa-rousing the internet for additional food options to up progesterone, I have come across some information contradicting the notion of flax being beneficial for estrogen dominance.

I am very confused as to weather the plant estrogens in "linseed" actual level estrogen or raise it. And since I am off dairy and really want to get my nutrients from food instead of supplements. Chia seems to have more calcium. I am still confused though because there is so much contradiction.

Chia, Flax, and Lignans 22 Jan 2012 12:36 #4084

• kimberlyreed
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for posting your question on the support board. To answer your question, the seeds are not really an either/or situation for the Cycle diet. Each seed has it's own benefits and there's no reason to suggest one is better than the other, except for the one reason you're taking flax. Flax contains phytoestrogens that block strong estrogens at the receptor according to many research studies, and both flax and chia also contain an excellent amount of omega-3 ALA, something I recommend for that reason alone. If someone is estrogen dominate the ligands could help reduce the effects of estrogen not increase it.

The link you posted does not point to any kind of research to base her suggestion that chia seed is better. I haven't seen any kind of research yet regarding her assertion but if someone is wanting to reduce plant estrogens than I can see how someone could jump to that conclusion. I also like chia seed but it contains fewer phytoestrogens/ligands- which may or may not be the reason she suggests that it may be better.

Nutritionally, chia has about twice the dietary fiber as flax, containing about 10.7 grams per ounce compared with 5.6 grams. Chia is higher than flax in calcium and phosphorus, while flax is higher in thiamine, magnesium and copper. Flax is also high in iron, while chia has none. Both are equivalently high in manganese. Chia and flax also both have a high concentration of protein considering their size, but because they come in forms with small serving sizes, they cannot be considered adequate sources of daily protein.

I like the Worlds Healthiest foods website for comparisons...
 see this link for flaxseed www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81

and this one for Chia seed. www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=242
Hope that helps

Chia, Flax, and Lignans 17 Feb 2012 13:06 #4085

• kimberlyreed
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, I will continue to use both!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds