Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Protein/Lifting Weights

Protein/Lifting Weights 24 Jan 2017 18:13 #10871

• ljack88
  • ljack88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
How would you tailor the cycle diet for someone who lifts weights and is trying to build muscle or at least maintain muscle mass? Just take the same sources of protein that are already in the diet and increase the quantity? (I only see aerobic exercise included in the plan, so I get the sense that it wasn't created with lifting in mind.)

It looks like with the given plan, I wouldn't be getting enough protein. I'm a larger human anyway (6 ft, 195 lbs), so I would need to increase food portions regardless. But even then I don't know that the macro ratio is right for my lifting/fitness goals.

Curious if there are any other female lifters out there that have thought about this or had to play with the plan a little bit to get it to fit their needs. I don't want to do anything that would disrupt the effectiveness/whole point of the cycle diet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debra

Protein/Lifting Weights 25 Jan 2017 12:08 #10872

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Welcome to the Cycle Diet ljack88,

The Cycle Diet plan is adjustable to every woman who wants to follow the base plan. If you want to increase protein, that's fine. Just keep in mind the source of protein in either phase you may be in. The one thing to watch for, any kind of food sensitivity, especially to whey or casein.

As a bodybuilder, you will be much better at metabolizing branch chain amino acids from red meats, that compete with the uptake of tryptophan, but if you have an immune reaction or sensitivity to dairy, (whey or casein) could be a problem. I have worked with a couple bodybuilders in the past who tended to overdo the protein from several sources, shorting themselves on greens at the same time. Remember, the approximate absorption of protein (with no IBS/IBD or indigestion) is only around 30g per meal or snack. Undigested protein will go into the bowel where some bad bacteria can feast on iron, creating a not so friendly environment for beneficial bacteria. If you are eating a very high protein diet without beneficial fiber, you might be doing more disservice to your body than helping to build muscle.

I would be very happy to look at your food log and make a few suggestions for you if you'd like. If you would like further help with PMS symptoms or menstrual irregularities, please order a consult.

Debra (515) 221-0236
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds