Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you have a question about The Cycle Diet, post them here. Registered users only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 14 Sep 2005 18:06 #3073

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
[b:6cb2cfb6c5]As promised a reliable Vitamin and Mineral Information link.

As with many government sponsored web sites, it's a great source of information that you can get lost in. Be sure and come back after you've perused this extensive site.[/b:6cb2cfb6c5]

[b:6cb2cfb6c5]The NIH Office of Dietary Supplements[/b:6cb2cfb6c5]

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 15 Dec 2005 10:58 #3074

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Very good link - answers just about anything and everything you want to know.
One thing that I would like to know and not sure if it has been covered prior but does people's size and body weight make a difference to the amount and quantity of vits/supplements i.e. as I am fairly small I feel that I cannot take the upper limits on some of the daily recommended dose and need to reduce by half - does this make sense?

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 15 Dec 2005 13:29 #3075

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jan,

Yes that makes absolute sense. If you believe the amounts are too much for you, don't worry about taking a whole vitamin. I might also suggest going to a childrens vitamin instead.

With one exception, when you do finally reach menopause switch back to a vitamin for women postmenopausal with less iron and more calcium.

But it's always better if you get your nutrients from FOOD FIRST.

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 15 Dec 2005 14:50 #3076

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's what I try to do as far as I can. And every day I try to ensure I eat either walnuts, brazil nuts or sunflower seeds but what I'm not sure of is how many you are supposed to eat to do you good without consuming too many calories and becoming a weight gaining problem.
I've had quite a good month this month with pmt and have put it down to taking a Vit A/C/D supplement (taking this one because I have dry eyes and read Vit A was good for the eyes) although I do think I need to increase on the calcium. Also the past few days I have been taking peppermint oil and I have found that it has given me a lift - so that has been an unexpected bonus for me. Today I would say has been the worst day because I am feeling quite down and emotional today but my period is now two days late so if it arrives later today or tomorrow I would say all in all I big improvement for me.

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 15 Dec 2005 15:02 #3077

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Excellent news Jan,

I would hope you post in the success board about this cycle when you know for sure OK.

Yes, the problem with nuts is to try to limit them to a handful a day to keep the calories down.

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 15 Dec 2005 15:33 #3078

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I certainly will do so Debra and I still believe there is room for improvement - this is the first time I have felt quite upbeat just before a period - my mood has actually lifted as I took the Vit tablet about half an hour ago. Think it might be on its way as I always get very bad dizzy spells a day or two beforehand - a case of sometimes having to grab onto something close by as I feel I am "going" and I've been experiencing them this afternoon. But will certainly keep you posted.

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 13 Oct 2010 15:58 #3079

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Deb,

While we're talking about vitamins. Once, I was watching Oprah and Dr. Oz said that you should break your multi vitamin in half and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. He says that by taking the vitamin in 2 parts, you stabilize what would be dumped quickly into your system if taken all at once. Do you have an opinion on this? Is it ok to take it all at once?

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 13 Oct 2010 17:55 #3080

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi V,

As long as you follow the recommendations of the Cycle Diet...enough fruits, vegetables and lean meats you really don't "need" a multi-vitamin unless you're following the 1,200 calorie plan.  I do recommend the additional calcium/vit D and fish oil everyday especially ovulation-luteal phase. IF you are malabsorbing (due to food intol/sensitivites) then it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut your multi-vitamin in half, however since I recommend calcium/vit D, it's best not to take w/multi-minerals together at the same time because they compete for absoprtion.

Please call me (I won't count it as a consult)...I want to talk to you about a few things just to make sure you're on the right path shouldn't take more than 15 minutes- okay? (515) 221-0236 

Thanks

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 13 Oct 2010 19:10 #3081

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Wow, how very sweet of you.  I'll try my very best to call tomorrow at lunch time. Lunch times are not really guaranteed this week because there are a lot of health fairs and I'm covering for the resource person. I started today and I'm not doing half bad. We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

Much Love,

Tori

A Reliable Link for Vitamin, Mineral & Supplements 17 Jul 2011 22:24 #3082

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
bump
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds