Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Many symptoms of hypothyroidism may mimic PMS or PMDD. Articles and helpful information. This forum is open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Soy and thyroid

Soy and thyroid 22 Mar 2006 17:35 #719

• monet
  • monet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Debra !!

I just learned that soy products and hypothyroidism is not a good combination... I'm on synthroid, a hypothyroidism medication, and I was wondering if I can still drink soy milk and eat tofu. I have about 2 glasses of soy milk per day and eat tofu maybe twice a week. I was looking foward to see if I would get better with the soy milk, since maybe I am intolerant to lactose...

Change does implicate a lot of questions !!

Thanks
Nat

Soy and thyroid 22 Mar 2006 18:48 #720

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Glad you asked!

This is a tricky question because sometimes when you improve your diet or remove foods that you have a sensitivity or an intolerance to, your need for thyroid medication resolves on it's own. I've seen this happen in a few of my clients who are estrogen dominant. Once you get the excess estrogens out of your system be it from recirculating estrogens from poor waste excretion, ingested estrogens from dairy or meat from animals feed growth hormones, thyroid production improves.

As you improve your nutritional status and supply your body with the necessary amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and right fats your body responds amazingly in manufacturing thyroxine.

Tyrosine is the backbone of the thyroid hormone. Amino acids found in many of the healthy protein foods you're eating are helped by the B vitamins function, especially B6 and B12. A few neurotransmitters are also formed from Tyrosine (Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Epinephrine). You may also notice if you're under a great deal of stress that your thyroid levels plunge. Your body may be converting all available tyrosine for the stress response.

You must monitor how you're feeling. You'll probably need to have your thyroid levels tested again to make sure you're not taking more than you need.

To answer your question--Soy milk on it's own doesn't contain the quantity of isoflavone needed to suppress your medication. However large amounts of tofu, soy beans in the form of edamame and soy milk everyday MAY interfere.

How long have you been taking Synthroid? How much are you taking?

Soy and thyroid 22 Mar 2006 20:39 #721

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
One last thing,

Lithium can also interfer with your medication so you should probably stop taking it or tell your physician that you're taking it so he/she can monitor your thyroid levels.

Soy and thyroid 23 Mar 2006 14:48 #722

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Debra,

I'm learning so much, this is very interesting !!

I'm on 0.75 ug of synthroid per day since january 2000. At the time I was under A LOT of stress, with my job ( I'm a vet ) and a workaholic husband I was trying to please. That had been going on for years so we can say it was chronic stress, and I wasn't eating well ( not enough ) and had terrible migraines... 3 times a week...

Of course I had a major depression considering everything ( I can see it now )... Today I am with a different life partner who is wonderful to me ( I know I deserve to be happy now !!! ) and I eat more and better foods, have no more migraines and I'm looking foward to going back to work but not with the public as it is too much stress for me. I know my limits now and I'm looking for a position at the governement if I can.

All this to say I had a hunch that the thyroid problem ( Hashimoto's thyroiditis in fact, diagnosed in jan. 2000 ) could have been brought up by all the stress at the time. I know I still have some progress to make about my diet and stress management but was thinking of tapering the synthroid to see how I would respond, maybe a couple of months after I'm established in a new job so the stress won't be as bad.

I am not on lithium so that is not a problem.

So would I be better with organic skim milk instead of soy milk ??
I would really like to get rid of all the oestrogens I don't need !

How do you know when the synthroid is not helping anymore ?

This cycle with the soy milk has been better, I was tired but not exhausted and in bed so for me that's a big improvment, giving me hope that I can go back to work. The rest of the month I'm ok, so I know that the depression is gone.

And also my body was pretty messed up with the psychotropic medications I took... That is going to take time as well to get back to normal...

It feels so great to be able to discuss all those things with somebody that understands !
Thanks again

Nat

Soy and thyroid 23 Mar 2006 16:31 #723

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[quote:781255e66b="monet"]

So would I be better with organic skim milk instead of soy milk ??
I would really like to get rid of all the oestrogens I don't need !

How do you know when the synthroid is not helping anymore ?

And also my body was pretty messed up with the psychotropic medications I took... That is going to take time as well to get back to normal...

Nat[/quote:781255e66b]

I'm so happy you feel this is a good place for you to come and discuss your situation. You're always welcome to talk about what ever is going on with you. Yes, I agree you absolutely deserve to be happy, we all do. Coming to that conclusion is a very positive step in the right direction and I know you're going to do great!

To answer your questions--If you're seeing results with soy milk vs. reg.or organic skim milk, stay with the soy milk for a while longer. I think we decided you may be lactose intolerant didn't we? You may also be sensitive to either casein, or whey in milk. This is pretty common but you'd have to see an allergist to make that determination. BUT if you were experiencing bloat and gas it's probably the lactose. You can also try drinking milk again (later) to see if you have the gas again.

Lactase, the enzyme you need to break lactose down can be purchased in a tablet form and you can also purchase cows milk without lactose in it, here in the US anyway, I'm not sure about Canada.

Your Synthroid will probably always work, I don't believe you can develop a resistance to it, you'd have to talk with your doctor about that one. One thing you can look for as I tried to explain, and sometimes I don't explain very well, but you need to [b:781255e66b]monitor how you feel[/b:781255e66b]. Are you more jittery, are you losing weight, rapid pulse, difficult sleeping? Sometimes when you're getting too much Synthroid you can experience hyperthyroid symptoms.

And one last thing I want to mention, I'm so glad you brought up the fact you were on psychotropic drugs, withdrawal effects can be long lasting so getting back to normal with better nutrition and exercise will speed up the process. Are you feeling up to getting 45 min. a day in good ol' heavy breathing and sweating? If you do-- get going, it's amazing how producing your own endorphins can help fill those opiate receptors. :D

Soy and thyroid 23 Mar 2006 23:23 #724

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Again thank you so much for all the information.

I will continue with the soy milk and see how I am in a month. For the thyroid questions I'll ask my doctor.

As for the exercices, I can walk 20-30 min. rapidly now, I tried going to the gym but it's too much for me now so I'll try to gradually walk more.

Life is wonderful now that I know I can " control " this problem !
Have a nice week-end

Nat :)

Soy and thyroid 27 Jun 2006 06:16 #725

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Is lithium a problem?

I only just started on the Cycle Diet--less than a week--but just before I found it I found another site on PMDD that suggested lithate lithium in 5-20 mg. (vs the 300 mg dose that is usually prescribed for bipolar). I started taking 10 mg. just 4 days ago and swear I can tell the difference. I am coming upon my luteal cycle about tomorrow so will really be able to tell more then but since I started the lithate I am so much more happier and the agitation and irritation I was feeling just disappeared. Of course after I got the Cycle Diet I also ran right to the store and loaded up on soy products and organic skim milk and went right to work on that the same day so I don't know but I feel so much better. (I stopped taking Zoloft also about 2 weeks ago and had withdrawal too.) Like you said to me Debra, I had so much going on at one time it was hard to tell what was what but...there it is. At the same time I had a bout with my sinuses so was taking Claritin too.

I have been on organic milk products for at least 4 years now along with hormone-free meats and eggs but I still had all the menstrual difficulties. A few years ago I went to soy but found my energy lagging. About that time I read that soy depresses thyroid functioning so I swore it off completely. So what's the deal? I'm thinking it's just the meats and milk in the follicular phase that is the problem possibly, right? Soy in the luteal. At least that seems to be a simplified version of my understanding so far.

I haven't started on D3 yet but now that I've thought about it of course that probably is a factor in my PMDD. I didn't realize how much time I spend indoors--and without a single window from 6am to 5pm most days. I have made a concerted effort though too the past few days to get 20 minutes of sunlight directly on the skin--and since I also take HCTZ I can't spend longer anyway or I will burn.

Ah, womanhood!

Soy and thyroid 27 Jun 2006 14:39 #726

• monet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[b:dfe4d5fcd2]Hi Christene- You ask some great questions, see my answers after your questions in blue. I'm also going to copy this post to put in the the Cycle diet Support forum so others won't miss it.[/b:dfe4d5fcd2]

Is lithium a problem? [color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]Only if you're on thyroid medication and at higher doses above 300mg.[/color:dfe4d5fcd2]

I only just started on the Cycle Diet--less than a week--but just before I found it I found another site on PMDD that suggested lithate lithium in 5-20 mg. (vs the 300 mg dose that is usually prescribed for bipolar). I started taking 10 mg. just 4 days ago and swear I can tell the difference.
[color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]I really don't think this is a large enough amount to interfere, but remember you will be getting the benefit of foods that contain choline, the component of lithium that we need for good brain chemistry. [/color:dfe4d5fcd2]

I am coming upon my luteal cycle about tomorrow so will really be able to tell more then but since I started the lithate I am so much more happier and the agitation and irritation I was feeling just disappeared. Of course after I got the Cycle Diet I also ran right to the store and loaded up on soy products and organic skim milk and went right to work on that the same day so I don't know but I feel so much better. (I stopped taking Zoloft also about 2 weeks ago and had withdrawal too.) [color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]Would you mind making a post describing your withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft for those who might like to understand what the differences are between those symptoms and PMS/PMDD symptoms or what to expect. I always like to see conversations about withdrawal symptoms in women and their experiences so others might relate. [/color:dfe4d5fcd2]
Like you said to me Debra, I had so much going on at one time it was hard to tell what was what but...there it is. At the same time I had a bout with my sinuses so was taking Claritin too.

I have been on organic milk products for at least 4 years now along with hormone-free meats and eggs but I still had all the menstrual difficulties. [color=darkblue:dfe4d5fcd2]Very good, however your dairy still needs to be skim, or fat free-- Try removing dairy and the animal saturated fats--this seems to help in those who are sensitive to dairy as well as those intolerant to lactose, casein or other milk proteins[/color:dfe4d5fcd2].

A few years ago I went to soy but found my energy lagging. About that time I read that soy depresses thyroid functioning so I swore it off completely. [color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]You have to be eating a good amount to suppress thyroid, let's see how you do during the luteal phase, you can always try rice milk, almond milk or even goats milk if you can't tolerate the soy.[/color:dfe4d5fcd2].

So what's the deal? I'm thinking it's just the meats and milk in the follicular phase that is the problem possibly, right? Soy in the luteal. At least that seems to be a simplified version of my understanding so far.
[color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]The Cycle Diet limits the saturated fats and preservatives (and other additives) found in meats and dairy--If you stay with fish, chicken, turkey and plant proteins and avoid the processed meats and red meats for now we'll see how you do. These foods are easier to digest and don't stress your system. The Cycle Diet is very heart healthy too, you can still eat meat in the luteal phase but you'll notice more choices in complementary plant proteins and cold water fish with great omega 3's. Note: limit tuna to no more than twice a week[/color:dfe4d5fcd2].

I haven't started on D3 yet but now that I've thought about it of course that probably is a factor in my PMDD. I didn't realize how much time I spend indoors--and without a single window from 6am to 5pm most days. I have made a concerted effort though too the past few days to get 20 minutes of sunlight directly on the skin--and since I also take HCTZ I can't spend longer anyway or I will burn.
[color=darkblue:dfe4d5fcd2]Excellent news, You need to get your D levels up now to fair well through next winter. Have you been reading up on vitamin D in the research forum? You should. I also suggest you ask your doctor for a 25(OH)D test now and again in the fall to make sure you're not deficient going into winter. Making your own vitamin D is by far easier than trying to take supplements. However, this can be hard for those working 6am-5pm like you. So good for you.[/color:dfe4d5fcd2]Ah, womanhood!--[color=blue:dfe4d5fcd2]Yes, I absolutely agree![/color:dfe4d5fcd2] :D
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds