Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Many symptoms of hypothyroidism may mimic PMS or PMDD. Articles and helpful information. This forum is open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thyroid tests

Thyroid tests 12 Jul 2006 07:22 #3395

• WChristeneG
  • WChristeneG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey from Houston. Been on this diet for almost a month now. Felt good at first but the past 2 weeks or so (happens to be luteal phase also) I have just been exhausted. Well more like an underlying fatigue really. I have already missed 2 days of work and working on a third because I am just too tired to deal with unforeseen complications that a nurse must be ready for. [i:1b8bb660b5]I think it's the soy[/i:1b8bb660b5]. My husband and I noticed when I tried giving up milk for soy a few years ago I had the same results.

(Could we just get this straight? There is no milk in a soybean. Soy 'milk' is a misnomer meant to fool the unwashed public into thinking that this genetically modified, highly processed, over glamorised goo can in someway be equated to a created foodgroup straight from God. Soy in it's natural state is completely unpalatable and undigestible for human consumption.) --Just had to get that off my chest.--

I have been willing to try just about anything--only proving that I might well even try animal dung if I thought it would cure me--I am so desperate to be free of the menstrual pain and emotional ups and downs, etc.

I'm going to get back off the soy and go see my doctor to run some thyroid tests. I went to this doctor 18 years ago when I first started gaining lots of weight--after marriage--and he did not find a thyroid problem. Since then I have gained 100 more pounds and wonder if he might find one now. (Yea, I tell my husband he can be happy, I'm a whole other person now!) What tests should I ask him to run? --I don't have insurance so this will be out of pocket. I need to know the top 5 or so. FYI, I was in the ER with biliary colic about six months ago. They ran lots of blood tests and I was perfectly within range in everyone of them. Of course they didn't do thyroid at the time but calcium was one of them and it was good.

Please advise,
Christene

Thyroid tests 12 Jul 2006 13:30 #3396

• WChristeneG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[quote:c740417b4e="WChristeneG"]Hey from Houston. . [i:c740417b4e]I think it's the soy[/i:c740417b4e]. My husband and I noticed when I tried giving up milk for soy a few years ago I had the same results.

I have been willing to try just about anything--only proving that I might well even try animal dung if I thought it would cure me--I am so desperate to be free of the menstrual pain and emotional ups and downs, etc.

They ran lots of blood tests and I was perfectly within range in everyone of them. Of course they didn't do thyroid at the time but calcium was one of them and it was good.

Please advise,
Christene[/quote:c740417b4e]

Hi Christene,

I'm sorry you're having problems with soy "milk", I definitely think you should get off of it if. It's very possible you have a underlying sensitivity to it during the luteal phase that unmasks itself. Many people are allergic to soy. You would know if you were allergic. Organic skim milk is always an option.

Getting your thyroid tested is also a very good idea right now, especially when you're feeling lousy. But don't give up on the diet. Eating healthy will only help you get through this time in your cycle.
Ask for a T3 and T4, TSH, iodine and parathyroid test. Your doctor should know which tests to do. Blood calcium will always read somewhat normal due to the bodies amazing ability to mine calcium from your bones. The parathyroid measurement will give an indication of whether or not you're doing that at a higher than normal rate. Ask for a vitamin D test too if you can afford it. This will also give an indication on how well you're absorbing calcium.

Are you taking a calcium supplements, flax or fish oil and a multi-vitamin?

Hang in there and keep up the good work. If you think it's your thyroid it probably is.

One other thing to have tested right now is your Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and progesterone, if FSH is still high after ovulation you could be closer to menopause than you think. Be sure and talk with your doctor about that as well. Low estrogen/progesterone and thyroid are somehow connected. Low progesterone levels can also be causing you problems in the luteal phase.

Please let us know what happens with your appointment and know we're always here if you need a shoulder.

Thyroid tests 14 Jul 2006 05:14 #3397

• WChristeneG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the encouragement, feeling better already, in just three days on my soy ban. Still felt the fatigue at times today but so much better. Funny I never thought of having a soy sensitivity.

I am staying with the plan in everything else though. It's just another good thing to add to my health repertoire.

BTW, I'm having a period now that is not as devastating hormonally as I have always had. Still taking Aleve rtc for pain but don't feel as if I have been run over by a Mac truck as in the past. Will keep trying.

Thanks again,
Christene

Thyroid tests 14 Jul 2006 13:03 #3398

• WChristeneG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Christene,

It's such good news to hear you're doing better since giving up the soy. If you have a thyroid problem the soy may have aggravated it. I think it's good to know you should avoid soy from now on.

You always have a choice between organic skim cow's milk, calcium and D fortified rice, or almond "milk" or goat's milk, yes goat's milk, it's really pretty good warm. Low fat goat cheese or low fat goat feta is also a good alternative to soy or cow's cheese.

You may also (whenever you get health insurance) ask for an allergy test on soy and peanuts. They are related. If you ever had a problem with them as a child it can rear it's allergic head again as an adult.

I don't understand how doctors say a child can "grow out of it" but what happens is the body can immunologically handle it until other problems occur within the body. Changing hormones many times unmasks underlying medical problems during the luteal phase when the immune system is suppressed.

Keep up the good work and hang in there. Your next cycle should show even more improvement if you're able to stay with the recommendations.

Please let us know how things go with you.

Thyroid tests 15 Jul 2006 07:20 #3399

• WChristeneG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi gals,

We never went to the doctor as children, it was against our religion--neither were we allowed to be doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.--so I always thought of all 9 of us as healthy. I didn't leave that religion until I was 35 so when I look back I really have no health history to go on. I was sickly from my early 20's--I called it hormonal but it could have been hypoglycemia or simply allergies. I lost many jobs from calling in 3-4 days every month because I would lay in bed in complete agony. Even as a teen I missed lots of school while lying prostrate in bed in pain from cramps. As a teen, I went through a spell of fainting, and not only while I was pregnant. So I don't know. Perhaps I [i:995a5a04fe]was[/i:995a5a04fe]and am allergic to something or things. I just never considered myself in that light before. (I do know I'm a sugar addict however.) We didn't eat pork/pork products, crustaceans (or much fish at all really, I still don't eat any fish that doesn't have fins and scales) or 'exotic' meats but we did eat lots of red meat and chicken then. Lots of beans too. I'll have to think about this some more.

My husband likes the goat milk things. I like the cheeses but that's about it on that score. Guess I'll have to get back to that calcium supplement I was taking (called Living Calcium by Garden of Life, supposed to be most absorbable.)

Cheers,
Chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds