Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Articles and related links about the time before menopause when hormones can become unbalanced. This forum is open to the public.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oprah Talks Bio-Identical Hormones

Oprah Talks Bio-Identical Hormones 17 Jan 2009 15:38 #749

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129

If you missed the show you can visit her website for more information. I must say the topic is a controversial one.

1) Bio-Identical hormones are not FDA approved because they can not be standardized and are usually prepared by a compounding pharmacist.

2) Note: Since Bio-Identical hormones can not be patented, because they're identical to what's made by the body.... pharmaceutical companies can not make the kind of money they can on them like they do with synthetic hormones.

3) Because pharmaceutical companies can't make the kind of money and profit they do on synthetic hormones they REFUSE to do research on Bio-Identicals as a comparison to synthetic hormones. (However the skeptic in me says they probably have and are afraid to publish the results....meaning synthetics are less safe)

4) Because there's few studies on Bio-Identical hormones the FDA REFUSES to approve their use until more studies are done.

5) The North American Menopause Society (although started out as a impartial group in the interest of menopausal women and  unbiased medical research) is now almost completely financially supported by.....you guessed it....big pharma.

So who do you believe now a days for correct info? You must now make that decision entirely yourself.

As I fall on the side of what makes most sense to ME, I feel that bio-identical hormones seem to be the somewhat safer alternative. Which is why as a perimenopausal woman I use a bio-identical progesterone compounded by my pharmacist. This is my bias so if you're interested in learning more you can find a pretty good discussion along with video on Her Majesty Oprah's website here  and in the orange link inside the box, which leads to an O Magazine article worth the read. You'll also find other links to interesting articles....Thanks to O Magazine for making these articles available to women looking for answers to the HRT question.

Is Hormone Replacement Right for You
Legions of women across America are going about their daily lives feeling out of sorts. "You feel flat and you feel tired, you haven't had a good night's sleep in two years [and you're] just going through the motions, trying to get through the day," Oprah says. "You feel like your life force is being sucked out of you."

The February issue of O, The Oprah Magazine delves into the root of this problem and possible fixes , and Oprah is taking the discussion even farther. "We're opening a national conversation about hormone replacement therapy," she says. "This is about your hormones being out of whack, and you don't even know—we haven't had a language to talk about it yet."

Hormone replacement therapy is relevant to women of all ages, Oprah says. "If you're a woman who's planning to live past the age of 35, at some point you're going to face hormone imbalance," she says. "All women need to be armed with this information."

Oprah Talks Bio-Identical Hormones 19 Jan 2009 18:18 #750

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Thanks for the link, it was very informative. I'm not looking forward to the big Menopause.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds