Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us about your success so others are inspired.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A kind thanks

A kind thanks 21 May 2009 18:05 #2452

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129

I receive many e-mails thanking me for my website and support board but wanted to share this one in particular with everyone today because it touches on an important subject...the uninsured.

From Jessica received 5/21/09 via e-mail:

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for this website and workbook. I have only been following the diet for about a week and I can already see positive results. As I am lactose-intolerant (with IBS), I didn't have to change my diet drastically, but the little improvements I made have made all the difference. I am uninsured like many women in the US, and I was struggling with horrible PMS symptoms. I believe if I was able to see a doctor they would have diagnosed me with PMDD. THANK YOU for your help.

It is an undeniably hard time we're living in right now for those of you affected by this tough economy.  So it is even more important you take the necessary steps to take care of yourself and your family. The foods you eat absolutely make a difference between health, wellness and disease, especially if you have food intolerances. I'd also like to make this point- You don't necessarily need insurance or a doctor to tell you that you have PMDD. You already KNOW if your PMS is PMDD without a doctor's opinion. The diagnosis only gives you the option of two things per your OB/GYN or Primary Care Physician...

1) a prescription for birth control pills or

2) a prescription for an SSRI or antidepressant.

Both of which DO NOTHING for anyone with an underlying autoimmune condition or food sensitivity. In many cases oral contraception (OC) can make an already calcium/magnesium deficient woman worse off. Higher levels of natural or synthetic hormones cause the body to excrete our precious minerals at a much faster rate.  Both OC and Selective Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI) delay your progress in discovering your food intolerances and ruin your sex drive. How's that for side-effects your doctor may or may not discuss with you.

Here are the criteria for PMDD:

PMDD is premenstrual syndrome (PMS) that is so severe it can be debilitating due to either physical, mental or emotional symptoms. Treatment is recommended because PMDD interferes with the sufferer's ability to function in her social or occupational life. The cardinal symptom—surfacing between ovulation and menstruation, and disappearing within a few days after the onset of the bleeding—is irritability. Anxiety, anger, and depression may also occur. The main symptoms, which can be disabling, include

• feelings of deep sadness or despair, possible suicide ideation
  • feelings of tension or anxiety
  • panic attacks
  • diarrhea
  • mood swings, crying,
  • lasting irritability or anger, increased interpersonal conflicts
  • apathy or disinterest in daily activities and relationships, yeast infections
  • difficulty concentrating
  • fatigue
  • food cravings or binge eating
  • insomnia or hypersomnia
  • feeling "out of control",
  • increase or decrease in sex drive.
  • increased need for emotional closeness,
  • physical symptoms: bloating, heart palpitations, breast tenderness, headaches, joint or muscle pain, swollen face
[/*]
Five or more of these symptoms may indicate PMDD. Symptoms occur during the week before the menstrual cycle and disappear within a few days after the onset of the bleeding.

Last note: YES-Every single one of the above criteria symptoms can be and is known to be caused by a gluten, Lactose intolerance or dairy protein (casein) sensitivity.

A kind thanks 01 Sep 2009 19:03 #2453

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hello,

I don't want to make this long, but I want you to know that I haven't got a normal month since I was 37, (now I am 42). I wanted to wait until 2 or 3 cycles were completed as you suggest, but changes in my cravings, fatigue, mood are already so dramatically that I had to thank you. (I am ending my first period on the diet).

I live in a country where access to the best gynecologist, best nutritionist, best psychiatrist, is very expensive, so basically I have worked for them, for the past years without any changes.

I am in tears writing this (maybe still a symptom remaining... jaja) cause you have changed my so deteriorated life ! I cannot recognize myself, I am even scared, what am I going to do with my life now?, now that I can actually live !.  I had left everything a side, I didn't have any interests other than trying to survive, keeping my job, trying so hard not to binge drastically, so that I would not spend my "good follicular days" in depression cause of the weight gain and doing drastic hypo caloric diets to get rid of it.

It has been 5 years since I haven't been able to loose weight, I have now, almost 5 pounds in this first period. I will thank you forever ! I am looking forward for my second month and analyze the changes, I am very meticulous marking down my symptoms.

God bless you ! and I am sorry but I am not willing to share this info. with my gynecologist, nor the other doctors!  I even was prescribed as hypoglycemic and with hypothyroidism, for the phantom symptoms! it is incredible...

Very truly yours,
Gabriela

Thank you so much for posting about your success Gabriela, and congratulations! I am going to place a new topic with your post on it's own, okay. You will see it listed under From Miss G. of Mexico City.

Thank you again.

Debra

A kind thanks 15 May 2012 04:25 #2454

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hey Debra,

Hope you're fine and still helping us women. I cannot believe almost 3 years have past, you are my forever hero, I send you a big hug ;)

Listen I cannot lie, it has been hard, cause my food sensitivity list is long and age is definitely a factor... I guess ...

3 months ago I cut off on grains and I've been  following kind of Paleo diet, (I still consume some artificial sweeteners). I have lost 6 pounds in 4 months and  I am still 6 pounds away, it is so frustrating, my metabolism just won't move !
I will be 45 this year and I feel it is now or never so I went back to high activity exercise and I am beaten up, I am just soooooo tired, and have to confess too that mood swings are back, depression, fatigue, on the second half of my cycle ... It is just hard to stick to one plan when my primary goal was definitely lose weight...

Hope I can get there, and if I do don't know what I'll do next ... guess will depend on my cycles.

I am glad I am back to your site,

Saludos de MX,
G

A kind thanks 15 May 2012 11:30 #2455

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi G,

So nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you're struggling with a Paeleo type diet plan, and to be honest I'm not surprised. Here's the problem; when you severely limit carbohydrates you automatically increase protein and saturated fats from animal sources, this forces the body to use ketones as fuel. Genetically some people, women in particular predisposed to PMS/PMDD cannot handle these kind of metabolic changes long-term. If symptoms are returning then you are putting too much stress on your body. These high protein diets cause an increase in acid balance and the secretion of valuable blood minerals to try to alkalize.  I can understand your struggle with wanting to lose weight but in your case a more vegetarian/plant base diet may actually be better for you, helping you lose those last few pounds. Remember, your body will slow metabolism down if you limit calories too low. Perimenopause may also become a problem, very low carb diets tend to change ovulation/cycles due to the body thinking it's starving (ketones) so not a good time to conceive leaving you short on progesterone to balance estrogen.

I may suggest you re-test with the lab you used, they should have suggested you re-test after 6 months to-a year to see if anything changed. If you think you need more personal attention I can help you with a less stressful plant based diet plan with a consult. Please feel free to go to the RD services link. http://www.cyclediet.com/services.php

Hope that gives you a little insight and thanks for the update.

Debra

A kind thanks 15 May 2012 17:58 #2456

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Debra,

Thank you very much to appear right in this moment, the only thing I feel good about is having lost those 6 pounds but, I am so tired and unfortunately I became addicted to diet coke. I know how harmful that is.
I knew that high protein would end up messing up my estrogen level, cause it is the liver that handles them right? 3 months now, 3rd cycle and I definitely feel changes, I am very stressed and moody.
I don't think I am lowering that much the total Kcal per/day but I definitely consume a lot of fat, OMGGGGGG this is wrong right?  thank you Debra I will think about doing the test again pity it is so expensive and right now I don't have insurance. I quit my job after 22 yrs. and I feel free, although, honestly I thought everything would be easier and is not that way, but well no regrets, just looking ahead, and trying to live well.
I want to take consultation with you, but first I will give a thought to the test 850.00usd to give you more info. about me. But wouldn't it be obvious that high sensitivity foods will now appear as mild or none sensitivity at all after 3 years?, gluten don't think so, cause it is difficult, it is everywhere, but eggs for example, and that won't mean I can go back and consume right?

Will get back to you with news.
Thank you so much,
G

A kind thanks 15 May 2012 18:02 #2457

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Please e-mail me or post inside the private forum for clients and I'll see if we can get a better price for you.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds